There are many ways that criminals can get a hold of someones identity and use the information to steal from you and rack up your bills. There are some simple steps you can take to keep your identity safe.
- Keep all of your personal information private. Never give out your credit card information to anyone calling for it or asking for it by email. Your bank already has this informations so they would never ask for it.
- Know your credit cards and account numbers. If you keep an accurate inventory of what you have in your wallet you will know exactly who to call if it is stolen. It is also a good idea to keep your social security card at home or in a safe. Do not keep anything with your social security number on it in your wallet.
- Keep track of all your credit card transactions. Look at your statements regularly to make sure no one is using your card that you don’t know about. If something does happen, the sooner your catch it the easier it is to clear up any problems.
- Always use your home computer for any online transactions. Public computers are not a secure. If you have a hard wired computer at home it is also more secure than a wireless connection.
- Make sure no one is standing close to you when you use an ATM. Never write down your PIN number, and make sure you always take your reciept from the ATM machine.
- Shred all bills and financial statements once you are done with them if they have your personal information on them.
- Don’t open emails or email attachments from people you don’t know. It is also a good idea to be wary of any attachments you are not expecting.
- Ignore pop ups on your computer. Even batter, set your browser to block them so you don’t even get them.